Welcome to the Heslin House
Reservations can be made for private group tours.
Open the third Saturday of every month from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
The Heslin House was built in 1893 and is an example of Western Farmhouse architecture. The House is being renovated by our Society. It is located adjacent to the Ne-cha-co-kee/Handy City Park in Fairview, with parking facilities, gazebo and attractive landscaping. The House has historical artifacts on exhibit from the Heslin family and other historical artifacts from the three areas the Society represents. It will also house the office for the Society and will be used a history research facility for the area. Select here for Family History.
In 1991, shortly after the death of Ted Heslin, the Fairview-Rockwood-Wilkes Historical Society approached the Fairview City council with a request that the city purchase the Heslin home to be restored for use as a local historic center. FRW recognized the importance of a home in which members of a single family had resided for almost 100 years. The City Council approved purchase of the property and house, adjacent to a city park, and agreed that FRW should renovate and maintain the Heslin House Historic Center.
The Heslin House is being remodeled to current building standards. The interior has been gutted and will have updated electricity, plumbing, heating/air conditioning, insulation, sheet rock and paint. Exterior plans have will include the reconstruction of the two porches and maintaining and enhancing the landscaping.
FRW completed placement of a new foundation under the house in early 1993. This important structural step was done according to specifications which will protect the historical integrity of the building. In addition to the foundation, the roof was replaced, the two chimneys restored and the exterior painted. Thanks to a generous donation by Viking Windows of Troutdale, all the windows were replaced with with new vinyl storm windows.
After 17 years of dedication and perseverance by many volunteers, the 1890 Heslin House Museum, located 60 Main Street, opened its doors after a ceremonial cutting of the ribbon on May 18, 2008.
Ted Heslin died in 1991; he was the third generation of his family to live in the home, which was once a boarding house. The City of Fairview bought the dilapidated house from the Heslin family that same year, and formed a partnership with the Fairview-Rockwood-Wilkes Historical Society to help save it. The Historical Society spent the past 17 years renovating the house.
In addition to a museum, the Heslin House is the headquarters for the FRW Historical Society.
If you’d like to help the FRW Historical Society by volunteering as a docent, working in the garden, or helping with general society activities please contact us.